Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Oh, Those Classic Cars



A car isn’t a classic just because it’s old, a car has to tell us something of the time.” – James May

 
1970 Chevy Malibu

Early one morning, I sat down and turned on the TV while eating breakfast.  I began to “flip” through the channels and one program caught my eye.  I don’t remember the name of the show, but it was about restoring classic cars.  The classic they were bringing back to life was a bright orange 1968 Chevy Malibu.  The car reminded me of my Mom, who bought a 1970 Chevy Malibu, yellow with a black top.  It was her first car that had automatic transmission and air conditioning.   She was so nervous about driving the new Malibu home (six miles), that she had me, a teenager, drive it.  Such trust!  I thought it was super-cool to drive that car.   The one thing I remember about it is that the brakes wouldn’t work if you went through a good-sized puddle; and, you would have to sit for a while by the side of the road or in a parking lot until they dried out.

I have so many nice memories of classic cars.  One of my cousins bought a used, bright yellow Chevy Camaro with a black top, probably circa 1967 or 1968.  It was a great car for us teens to drive “cruising the drag”.  A favorite "drag" was Wollaston Boulevard that ran along the beach for about two miles.  Up and down for hours we would go.



1970 Oldsmobile 442

During a date in the 1970’s, I was asked if I wanted to drive his 1970 Oldsmobile 442.  Ah, YEAH.  It had a V8 engine and four speed on the floor manual transmission.  What power that car had.  It just took off and screamed down the highway.  What a thrill!

Another date, different guy.  We were driving around one afternoon when he spotted a used MG.  Yep, he decided to test drive it.  Was that a fun little car, too small for my taste, and definitely too small for his 6 foot frame, but it was a good time taking it for a spin.





1971 Plymouth Duster 340

Then there was the beloved boyfriend with the 1971 Plymouth Duster 340.  He factory ordered the car. It was dark grey with black stripes down both sides, with “340” at the ends, and dark grey interior, automatic.   He loved that car so.   He loved it so much that we couldn’t eat in the car.  Ah, what memories we choose to keep.  Wonder how long he had the car.....    




1970 Z28 Camaro

There were some fantastic cars “back in the day”:  the Chevy Chevelle SS, Pontiac Trans Am, Z28 Chevy Camaro, Triumphs, Dodge Challengers, the Corvette, Ford Mustangs, even the little Chevy Nova with its peppy spunk.

I’m sure I have left off someone’s favorite car.  Today, whenever I see one of the classics, I smile and think of all the great fun we had.  I sure wouldn’t mind driving some of them again!

“Life is too short to drive boring cars.” - Anonymous


 

2 comments:

  1. You can’t beat a classic car. I still stop and look at a classic car if it drives by. If my memory is correct, my girlfriends and I would ride around in a Ford Torino when we were in High School. Named the car Tony Torino; we had so much fun cruising around town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, you can’t beat them. I agree, a classic car will make me stop and look, every time.
    I forgot about the Ford Torino! Love the name!

    ReplyDelete